The Maroochy River Canoe Trail is ideal for families, seniors, couples, and groups with all fitness levels and paddling experience.
Make your way to Goat Island near the mouth of the Maroochy River, where you will see clear water and perhaps stingrays, fish and sandy banks.
Goat Island, Maroochy River Canoeing & Kayaking, Maroochydore QLD
When you reach Goat Island, look out for the wreck of the “Gneering”, a steamer that serviced the river and was wrecked on the Maroochy River bar. It was later towed to Goat Island and left as a wreck there.
If it’s an adventure with your canine friend, you’re after, launch your canoe, kayak or paddleboard from the leash-free dog section of the North Shore and paddle down to the Twin Waters boat ramp and back. This area is perfect for training your dog to paddle with you.
If you start your paddle from the North Shore side, you can also enjoy the serenity of Mudjimba Beach, with a spot of surfing or beach fishing. There are playgrounds for the kids and a choice of cafes. Further afield, you can enjoy the Aqua Parks at Twin Waters, Bli Bli or Coolum.
The starting points for your paddling around Goat Island include:
- Northshore Carpark, North Shore Road, Mudjimba (not far from Twin Waters)
- Nojoor Road Boat Ramp, Twin Waters
- The Esplanade, Cotton Tree
- Picnic Point Esplanade, Maroochydore.
All entry/exit points have sandy beaches, wash down taps and car parking.
To ensure a safe and pleasant experience out on the water, make sure you always:
- Follow any local signage, as it contains critical information and conditions can change at any time
- Be aware of the weather conditions (which can be found below)
- Wear appropriate clothing, with a focus on suitable footwear
- Bring more water than you think you will need for the trip
- Be Sun Safe
- Always let someone know where you are going